Sunday, March 02, 2008

Days When I Can't Stop Weeping

When I haven’t slept well the night before, I tend to get emotional over almost anything. I heard a song and wept once in the car on the way up to the mountain. I wept twice more while skiing: once on the lift when I saw a blackbird playing in the wind and again on my final run of the day.
At Keystone they have two very long mogul runs. I can arrive at the mountain by noon or even one o’ clock and take those two runs the rest of the day and come home completely exhausted, as if I had skied from early morning until midnight.
Today, I skied extra hard, but, in spite of the fatigue, I was having a good day. I was so in the zone during my last run that I decided not to stop and rest a quarter of the way down as I normally do, and I kept going until I reached the midway curve. Catching my breath, I sat down in the snow and waited for my heart rate to calm. When it did, I was able to focus on the view: a clear sky and miles and miles and miles of mountain and snow-frosted pines. It looked like mercy.

4 comments:

Counterintuitive said...

Mercy seems just the right word.

spontaneous expressions said...

Are you crying tears of joy or sorrow or something else?

shane said...

I think I was mostly crying tears of tiredness--but the first time I felt sorrowful, the second time joyful, and the third time awestruck and humble.

Glad you're at least still leaving comments on blogs!!

HH said...

Ron beat me to it, but "mercy" is exactly what, such times, have felt like to me. Joy and release. I must say... I love, and hate, those times. I feel like such a "girlie." However, the release is so liberating as well. Thanks for capturing it so eloquently my friend.


Trav