Monday, November 12, 2007

Reforming Cancer

According to a recent article in the Washington Post, America is finally making some headway in its four decade long battle against cancer. Studies show that cancer rates have been dropping 2.2 percent a year since 2001 and by a rate of 1.1 percent since 1993. And this, we're told in an opinion column that appeared in the Chicago Tribune, is proof that our trust in the scientists is well-founded--proof that scientist's "stunning progress in cancer screening and treatment" is solving the problem.

But let's get some perspective here. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States, killing one in four of us, and a 2.2 percent decrease, while cause for some minor optimism, isn't exactly a clear sign of victory. Since 1930 when the government first started keeping records, cancer deaths have grown from 114,186 to 556,902 (2003 numbers). That's almost a fivefold increase, out-pacing population growth by about three times. Moreover, what improvements are being made lately are largely due to long-overdue attacks on industry, especially the cigarette industry which accounts for the largest share of the blame for cancer deaths even today. The drop in cancer rates has had little to do with "screening and treatment". And while the National Cancer Society expects to see continued progress in the battle, there isn't a whole lot of evidence to support such a conclusion. Recent reports from Europe show that "adults who have used cellphones for 10 years or more have twice as much brain cancer on the side of their heads most frequently exposed to the phone." And because brain cancer can take up to ten years or longer to develop, it's unlikely that current statistics reflect potential problems with increasing cellphone use (Denver Post Sunday Nov. 11). And cell phones are just one of many new and potentially cancerigenic technologies that are being introduced into our environments on an almost daily basis. The FDA (in cooperation with the National Cancer Society who fought against legislation to prohibit placing known carcinogens into our food), has not only failed to protect us, it knowingly sanctions new industry efforts to make our environments more toxic (one of the first FDA approved genetically engineered foods was a tomato that, it was later shown, induced heart attacks in a large number of people who ate it. Fortunately, the tomato was quickly taken off the market, not because it killed people, but because it didn't sell.) We're exposed to known carcinogens through our FDA approved food, shampoos, skin-creams, ear-phones, computers, and even in the polluted air around us. We eat, breathe, and think cancer into our bodies every day.

Fact is, we are not winning the war on cancer. Science is not saving us. If Nazis run a prison camp in which they kill a hundred prisoners a day, and later they scale back to killing only 97, the resistance shouldn't think that it's on its way to victory. At best, it has merely slowed the inevitable wipe out of the prison camp population. The problem, Nazism, hasn't gone away.

In 1953, due to an ever-increasing litter problem caused largely by magazine ads promoting cans as "throw-aways", legislation was proposed to prohibit the sale of beer in non-refillable bottles. As a result, an organization called "Keep America Beautiful" (KAB) was founded by businessmen from the beverage and packaging industries. In the early 1970s the group launched a major advertising campaign, spearheaded by the now legendary commercial featuring the image of a Native American with a tear angling down his face and the accompanying voice-over message: "People Start Pollution, People Can Stop It" (http://toolkit.bottlebill.org/opposition/KABhistory.htm).

Put another way, don't blame us, the bottling industry, blame yourselves. You're the problem. Now fix it. We don't have to look at the source of the problem--the manufacturing of trash--but at treating the symptoms of the problem--learning to put our trash in "receptacles"--to make the problem, and the litter, go away. Similarly, the problem with cancer is not presented to us as a problem of industry, or of the science and technology that supports and is produced by industry, but as a problem of lifestyle choices that through "screening and treatment" can be easily fixed, that, in fact, we are fixing, at an astounding rate of 2.2 percent a year. Don't expect to fix the litter problem by eliminating the production of litter and don't expect to eliminate the cancer problem by eliminating the producers of cancer (known cancorigens). But we can fix the problem by staying faithful to the status quo--and to science. We can fix the problem with treatment. So pick up your own and your neighbors discarded bottles and wrappers and trust in science to find a cancer cure. But leave Industry alone! Heil Hitler!

http://environment.about.com/od/healthenvironment/a/uscancerdeaths.htm

8 comments:

spontaneous expressions said...

Interesting post. It made me think as I was reading it about the other environmental diseases that we clearly aren't beating either..autism for example which hasn't been clearly linked to environment yet but I suspect someday it will. This is a diagnosis that seems to be exploding in numbers. I can't think that all of this is simply due to more sensitive assessment tools and hypervigilant pediatrians. I do think that we are winning on the treatment end (of cancer at least) but as far as preventing it I think you are right. We aren't all that willing to change lifestyle because that takes too much effort and personal sacrifice. Makes me a little afraid of my cell phone now.

I clearly remember the American Indian with the tear commercial and I was less than ten years old. A powerful emotional image that was so strong that it has stayed with me (and you too apparently, and probably anyone else who had their viewing of The Love Boat interruped by it). It's very uncomfortable for me to consider that this was backed by any organization that wasn't solely committed to the cleaning up of America, to leave some room for the idea that there might be some economic reasons in the mix. I want to believe that all intentions were pure. Okay,...here ya' go. ( me giving you my rose colored glasses). You took them from me again.

Darkly_Dreaming said...

Ah, yes, "The Love Boat". And "Fantasy Island". What else?

Actually, I think "we" are perfectly willing to change our lifestyles. But Industry doesn't want us to change. So we're programmed to think that we could solve the world's problems with just a little "personal sacrifice".

Time and time again we've proven just how easily we're willing to change our lifestyles when the change is beneficial to Industry. Think about seatbelts, for example. We go along pretty tamely when Industry makes a profit.

The litter problem could be solved pretty easily with just one or two pieces of legislation prohibiting the production of non-reusable bottles and packaging. So why don't we do it? Simple. Industry special interests.
Fact is, a little lifestyle change or personal sacrifice won't do much at all. I can't through a lifestyle change avoid exposure to wireless internet radiation, for example, or air contaminants, or even second hand smoke (barring legislation that bans smoking in public buildings).

Yeah, I know what you mean about the cell phone. I gave up mine about three years ago, and I don't miss it a bit. So yeah, my "lifesyle change" was pretty easy and it might spare me some excess radiation, but it won't spare me entirely, and it doesn't do anything for the bees that are harmed by cell phone signals or the thousands of migrating birds that are killed every year by cell phone towers.

HH said...

Spot on my man. My guilt-meter's needle is off the chart. OF course the solution to our problems isn't purely based in medical science. The solution to the vast majority of our problems lies in analyzing our behavior.

As you stated, "But we can fix the problem by staying faithful to the status quo--and to science." Love the snarkiness here. But the wake-up call is serious and necessary. Change is inevitable and the more the environment around us radically changes, the more likely we are to radically change our behavior. So what will bring about the tipping point? Will we survive our own ignorance?

As I watch my children and their peers I am finding hope. I see students forming bike-to-school groups. Interaction's with them demonstrate to me that the ability to doubt, question, and change is pervasive in the teen population I know. IT seems that kids have every material thing they want nowadays. Eventually satiation sets in and other intangibles seem to take their place. How do we nuture this?

I'm gonna pass that responsibility to their favorite uncle.=) NOw, I gotta go warm up the car so I can get the mail. IT's too cold to walk that 1/2 block. -- end snarkiness
HH

spontaneous expressions said...

okay...here ya' go (me also giving "b" my rose colored glasses). It makes me wonder what will happen down the road with oil dependency. A part of me feels a little satisifed when the gas prices rise. The other part of me bitches a little because now it's going to cost me more. I still drive, but over the past year I've made some significant changes in my lifestyle to limit how much I have to use my car. There are some days when I don't touch my car. Why? Before I pat myself too much on the back, I'll admit part of the reasons are economic. We have a car that fits a family of five plus a couple friends. (which I've justifed by carpooling whenever I can,...last year I was in four carpools) It takes a hell of a lot of cha-chink to keep it rolling. But that's good, no? Otherwise I'd be more inclined to use it.

Maybe eventually the economics will get drastic enough(especially for the individual)that it will force a lifestyle change..or motivate us to find a way to get around that is more sustainable in the long term, or motivate us to rely more on resources that don't require such long distance travel or give up resources that do but are unnecessary (eating grapes from Costa Rica in January for example.) When it hits the individual on a personal level then this motivation to change a lifestyle is more likely to happen. Until then, I believe the avg. Joe probably won't change or won't know that a change is needed. Maybe you can appeal to their sensiblities, their "morality", their common sense, but I'm skeptical that sweeping major life changes on the individual level will happen until you appeal to the individual's bank accounts. Maybe, we have more in common with "industry" then we would like to admit.

I hate Walmart, but occasionally I find myself wandering their massive flourescent lit hallways, why? the prices can be terribly seductive. (I can always justify it when I'm buying something for someone else)

Something needs to happen eventually right?

Hey B. Can I see your blog?

Sorry Shane if I changed the direction of the orignal intent of the post. I have this uneasy feeling that I may have missed the main point.

shane said...

It seems I wasn't as clear in this post as I could've been. HH correctly points out the "snarkiness" in my comments, but the snarkiness is meant to ridicule solutions focused both in medical science (treatment) AND in "analyzing our behavior".
I'm not trying to inspire a guilt trip at all. I'm saying that the problem isn't ourselves but Industry (or the system run by Industry), and not only is it absurd to trust in Industry to solve a problem that it created, it's also necessary to destroy Industry in order to destroy the problem. So DON'T feel guilty; feel mad! I'm not saying you shouldn't try to live responsibly and do everything in your private life you can to improve the situation, but the problem of cancer and litter and global warming and peak oil and so on and so on and so on can only be stopped by stopping Industry, the institution that created the problems.

SE wrote: "Maybe you can appeal to their sensiblities, their "morality", their common sense, but I'm skeptical that sweeping major life changes on the individual level will happen until you appeal to the individual's bank accounts."

I agree. But I would rephrase it: sweeping major changes on the individual level won't happen until the individual lives within a system that doesn't reward (and sometimes necessitate) over-consumption and environmental over-exploitation--a system not run by Industry, in other words. I've better articulated this idea in other posts: "Applying Adorno and Marcuse" (January this year), "Global Warming" (June 2006).

"b" is my nephew Braxton whose computer I was using when I made that comment.

No worries about "changing the direction of the original post". It gave me the opportunity to clarify. Besides, I like comments of any kind. Say whatever.

spontaneous expressions said...

hey...I'm locking my blog. If anyone wants access you can email me at hamula@comcast.net

Thanks

S.E.

HH said...

Aaight...

All industries are nothing more than the behavior of their shareholder's. It ALL goes back to behavior. They can not be divorced. If we don't analyze "investor" behavior, how can we change the Industries culture?? I know... too Skinnerien (reducing everything to environmental influences and muscular responses). The only alternative is non-analysis period!

What is the payoff for polluting the world? What is the payoff for killing your customers? Find the consequent and you can control it. Handcuffing oneself to a nuclear weapon means nothing. influencing the monetary benefits of the nuclear weapons maker however...

I have real difficulty when anyone tries to divorce the action from the "acting agent."

Trav (aka HH)

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.