Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Into the Wild

I just saw the movie Into the Wild the other night, and it got me to thinking about my own experiences when I was the age of Christopher McCandless, the movie's protagonist. Like McCandless, I was somewhat obsessed with reading and with traveling, though I didn't rough it in the same way that he did. And like McCandless, I had a somewhat romanticized notion of what the natural world, or the world away from civilized society, had to offer. My view of nature, though, was a view informed more by literature and art than by direct contact with the wild; you might even say that my view was otherworldly and abstract--a view I now find not only wrong but sinister in its implications--a view that rationalizes narcissism and passivity.

But in spite of his direct experience living off the land and a more informed view of the natural world, McCandless wasn't any better prepared for his journey than I was at his age, and he paid a higher price for his mistakes. Whatever survival experience he had, it wasn't enough to prepare him for life in the Alaskan wilderness. He walked into the forest the same way I walked into the Urban Jungle in my early twenties: naive and ill-equipped. Nevertheless, I don't believe his effort was wasted. I don't want to bury McCandless, I want to praise him. I'm not ashamed of what I did in my twenties, and I firmly disagree with McCandless' critics who claim that what he did was driven by selfishness more than bravery and that he shouldn't be emulated. I think even his stupidity should be emulated.

Like a lot of young people, McCandless wanted to find a way of life richer and more honest than the life his parents and elders had left him, which is something I can relate to. In that sense, McCandless and I took similar journeys--he into the wilderness and I into the heart of the city, but both of us delving, essentially, into the private areas of our individual psyches--into a place almost beyond the reach of human culture--to find it uninhabitable.

Unlike most people, I didn't deal with my loneliness by doing the sensible thing--by seeking companionship and simply being less alone. Instead, I tried to become happy in my loneliness. So I wandered from state to state, working temp jobs to make ends meet, and I read. And I read and I read and I read. And I walked. God knows how many miles of walking I did around Lake Washington in Seattle, through the most hidden and dangerous streets I could find in San Francisco and Oakland, through the ugly suburbs of Virginia, in the canyons of Utah and Colorado, and in and around city parks and abandoned or closed buildings wherever I found them. I also, like McCandless, tried to metaphorically kill myself. I tried to kill off the person I'd been conditioned into being by, among other things, severing most of my previous relationships. I didn't have much contact with my family at that time, and, when I did, I found it numbing. On one trip back home, adolescent drama queen that I was, I told my mother that I didn't want her calling me anymore because of her views on the death penalty. I also broke off relations with all of my Utah friends, telling them, again in adolescent drama queen fashion, that I was going away to find God.

Well, I never found God. He wasn't where I expected him to be--in the unopened closets of my mind. And I didn't find myself, either. In that sense, my journey was a failure. But I did find something, and the movie reminded me of what it was. I found the same thing McCandless found--the knowledge that "happiness isn't real unless it's shared". I learned the lie of self-reliance. And I learned something else, too: that whether you die alone in the wilderness or surrounded by family and friends in the heart of a people-filled metropolis, you die alone. Neither living alone in the wild or living in civilized society gives us the companionship and sense of responsibility that our species requires to be healthy. We need to honor our dependency on the ENTIRE natural world, which includes the human world. Put another way, we have to cooperate. We need what McCandless found: an awareness of our interdependency on the wilderness, an awareness that we can't live by destroying the landbase that makes our lives possible. We have to realize, and rediscover, the wild animals that we are. But at the same time, we have to realize that we're a certain kind of animal, an intensely social animal, dependent on community building for survival. We can't live independent of community, of human community, nor can we live without an awareness of the wilderness that we're apart of. We can't find happiness by denying certain parts of who we are. To do that, we have to live in our imaginations, the only place where our spiritual, mental, physical, and emotional selves are united.

In a nutshell, my journey taught me that you couldn't escape the world nor could you let the world imprison you. You had to recreate it. I now understand that the real battle is stopping the machine, not escaping it, but, before you can take steps to stop the machine, you have to get some distance from it, or, at the very least, stop identifying with it. You have to set your imagination free. And that's what I was able to do during my years of wandering and, ultimately, what I think McCandless did. That's why I think McCandless' journey should be emulated. Because wisdom doesn't come easily or without risk. No one is born with an understanding that the world they're inheriting is one based on the suppression and oppression of self awareness and development. No one is born with the understanding that the civilized institutions of work, marriage, and education can't fulfill our human needs for self-expansion and happiness. And no one is aware of his or her possibilities until they attempt, at the risk of death, to discover them.

By exploring the depths of his imagination, McCandless learned that he couldn't find happiness in civilization's expectations, but he couldn't find happiness alone, either. Unfortunately, he died before he could put that knowledge into practice. But at least he inspired a good story, a story that needs to be honored and which both inspires and delineates the range of human experience, a story that enrichens and awakens our imaginations, a story that, if honored and understood, makes repeating McCandless' mistakes unnecessary. The story alone justifies the journey. At the same time, you can't learn everything from a story. McCandless' story can inspire and teach us, but it can't take the place of our own journeys.

Going into the wild means more than just trekking off into the wilderness to hone up on your survival skills (a delusion, it seems, of many native Alaskans who criticize McCandless and others like him). More than anything, it's a journey into the imagination. William Blake once wrote that "The imagination is not a State: it is Human existence itself." Aside from the literal wilderness of Alaska, McCandless also journeyed into all that the wilderness represents to the human imagination: untamed, and unbounded, and unfiltered "real" experience--into existence itself. In that quest, I think his journey was a success--a success that needs to be emulated.

***

Any man who selects a goal in life which can be fully achieved has already defined his own limitations.
Cavett Roberts

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
George Bernard Shaw

We live as we dream--alone.
Robert Conrad

9 comments:

HH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HH said...

I re-read what I wrote. It rambled a bit too much. It needed to be deleted. Damned medication.

Your post still made me think too damned hard. Keep it up. =)

shane said...

Whad'ya mean? That was a GREAT comment: thoughtful, personal.... I liked it. You should put it back. I wanted to respond, but now I can't remember well enough what you said. But I especially liked the part about realizing that people you loved, your parents, had misinformed you and taught you an interpretation of the world that was harmful. I wonder what direction I may've gone in life if my parents had been more religious.

Counterintuitive said...

I read Into the Wild several years ago--a great read with many layers. I'd always wanted to respect him for his journey but never quite articulated it as well as you have here.

A journey into one's imagination. I really like that. That's the metaphor of the wilderness, right? We seek the heights, the smells, the privacy...the imagination.

It's amazing how much what you are saying here parallels an email exchange I've been having with Spontaneous Expression about, ironically enough, her last minute trip to Denver to your party. I guess an email I sent her, in a small way, helped her get the nerve up to get the tickets. I'd written something about taking risks.

And I agree we have to take risks in order to journey into our imaginations, in order to stay in touch with who we are and what we are capable of. AND I think we have to keep having these journeys. I was just thinking about my own need for journey. I've spent a lot of time in my life journeying into my soul through long-distance running and biking. I've learned a lot--been super dehydrated, lost, in more pain than I ever imagined I could stand, sick as a dog, overwhelmed by wonder--but I'm ready to move on to other journeys. I want to find wonder without having to push myself to such physical extremes.

I figured it out a bit last winter taking photographs of snow and ice, but I'm still a long ways from getting it. Maybe I need a trip to Denver.

I'd really like to know more about your early wanderings. I don't know that much about this part of your life and I had no idea you'd ever become so oppositional with your family. I guess I'm intrigued since we have so much in common--family, small town, mormons etc--and we both got out of Utah. I went to NC and started what could have been the beginning of a long journey but I wasn't able (not in a bad way, like should have been able) to leave behind my friends and especially girlfriend. During my year there I journeyed towards them, towards God and religion, something I'd never been part of and back to Utah.

I guess I did, as you say, the sensible thing and found community. Of course there are costs to that too--I now find myself in a community which does not *see* me, a community I love but do not respect, in a place where my imagination withers. But I'm not on my own and those with me are still in the community. Yet, the need for, as you say, "untamed, and undomesticated, and unfiltered 'real' experience" still throbs within me at times. Of course I've lived enough to know a dangerous journey into the Alaskan outback wouldn't cure me. Not sure where that leaves us middle aged men. I guess many of us have affairs or buy big machines. Somehow we need to keep a hold of the wild man (a la Robert Bly) without hurting too much, because we will necessarily hurt them some, those we love.

shane said...

Hey Ron,
Shelly told me about your email, and I agree with her that what you said was spot on and extremely insightful--and moving! I told her I had a pretty wise cousin. Gives me hope that I've got some wise genes repressed in myself somewhere.

I remember hearing a statement about Marlon Brando after he died in which it was implied that he became an actor in order to find a space for being all that he really was and that the real world was too small for his whole self to live in. In other words, acting allowed him to journey into an unfamiliar place, an imaginary place, a wild place, and the only place where he could be expansive and authentic. I think everyone needs to discover this place in order to find the limits of experience and the boundaries or non-boundaries of self-hood--AND in order to learn what community really means and why it's valuable.

But, like I said, you can't hang out with only your imagination forever. You need community. At the same time, like you said, I think we need to continually take imaginative journeys and find a way for those journeys to nourish rather than hurt our relationships. This might mean, in circumstances where community is hierarchical and oppressive, that we have to live as an adversary. Sometimes adversaries are closer and more intimate and more helpful to us than friends. And just as self-reinvention isn't possible without rebirth, maybe community can't be salvaged or reborn until it's first destroyed. (What do you think?) Of course, we need allies, too. We can't fight the fight alone.

And speaking of allies, I doubt a trip to Denver will satisfy any existential longings for self-reinvention, but it would sure be good to see ya (how long has it been?). I don't get many Utah visitors out my way (even counting surprise party guests!). Are you gonna be in town over the Turkey day break? If so, maybe you, Travis, and I could get together for a drink.

You wrote:
Somehow we need to keep a hold of the wild man without hurting too much, because we will necessarily hurt them some, those we love.

Yes. Well said, wise one.

HH said...

Shane,
I just read your post to Ang and Brax. Brax said, "Uncle Shane wrote that?!" When you can impress a 15 year-old with such prose your kickin' ass and takin' names.

Robert Conrad once wrote, "we live as we dream, alone." It seems that through solitude, that the "programming" of our entrenched environments can be over-written/erased. At these mere points on time, the tabula rasa may be re-written.

After my first very short marriage, I was devastated. Emotion failed, and the void damned near swallowed me whole. Although, daily, I interplayed with various persons in the routine of survival, there was incredible isolation. The self was attempting to "cacoon" and evolve. IT was safe to have no "feelings." The alternative, of feeling the pain was just something I was too cowardly to face.
In this my journey was not spatial (distancing myself from others in space), but para-existential (simply shutting off the emotional response to others). The emptiness was vacuuous.

But, the emerging was truly a re-birth. In attempting to understand my own abnormal behavior, I was fortunate to gain insight into the reasons for the "normal." The peace granted from learning to doubt and question was the awakening of finding interdependence. My evolution was slower, however, as a consequence of being so anthropocentric.

For me, the progress continued with the devlopment of the love of trees. As concern for another species began to emerge, the ecological transmography began to develop in my mind. At last, the epiphany hit. We are universally bonded. All things, animated or not, are a part of the summum bonum.

Geezuz Chrust... My head hurts. Thinking causes stress. No wonder most avoid it.. ;)

Trav

shane said...

Hey Trav, I guess this makes up for the comment you deleted.
You wrote:
It seems that through solitude the "programming" of our entrenched environments can be over-written/erased.

Well put. I think that's true. But it's also a razor's edge; you can overdose on the solitude.

Your last paragraph about completing your re-birth with the aid of a love for trees is remarkable. I'm glad you told me that. It really speaks to me.

I'll be seeing you soon, amigo.

Counterintuitive said...

thanks for the compliments--I'm in awe to constantly be in the company of some of your genetic material.

I'm pretty serious about the denver thing--email me as I don't have your email and I will throw you some dates.

shane said...

yeah, a denver visit would be great. I'll email you.