Thursday, October 01, 2009

Rushed Undeveloped Post

In preparation for seeing my blogger pals soon, I decided to quickly post something:

Yesterday I paid a visit to the African American Clinic for a free medical examination, which started with a blood test. The nurse found a vein and put the needle in, but, at first, nothing happened. So she wiggled the needle around until the blood finally started to flow and filled the vial. At one point, I said to the nurse that I was feeling dizzy. I learned later that what I had actually said was that I feel “dizzzzzzzz”. After that, I went to my happy place. I don’t remember what I was dreaming but I remember not wanting to be woken. When I did come back, I wasn’t sure where I was. I started to think I had had some kind of accident and was now on the verge of death, in a hospital as a team of medics were trying to save me. Then my awareness returned. I was given some orange juice and a sandwich to bring my blood sugar back up.

Two other times in my life, I have passed out (been knocked out a few more), once when I was swimming and got caught between my dad’s legs trying to come up for air and the other in a Washington DC office where I interned and I overheard a conversation about accidental asphyxiation. What I remember from both incidents is the idea, which I obtained after the events, that death would not be as painful as I had imagined.

In reference to my last post, I’ve been wondering about how hierarchy both creates identity and makes the realization of human needs impossible. One thing I don’t like to admit is that part of what appeals to me about my travels to Central America is the sense of privilege I feel as an American. I’ve learned that being ideologically opposed to privilege doesn’t prevent me from enjoying it. And what is sometimes even more enjoyable than the sense of privilege is the sense of self-righteousness I feel when I try to resist being treated preferentially, when I refuse the privilege that is offered me. That, too, is another privilege—the privilege of being charitable, of being capable of giving charity.

But it isn’t real charity I’m participating in. Rather, it’s a purchase. In exchange for feeling self-righteous, for having a good conscious, I give someone lower on the social hierarchy my money or my time or my respect … something. The recipient has no reason to respect my generosity, because it isn’t real generosity. Even if I wanted to be truly generous, I couldn’t. The system we live in doesn’t allow it.

I remember when I worked at the County Jail. I had numerous volunteers helping me out and I was a little surprised that the inmates didn’t seem very thankful for the volunteers' efforts. I knew I was grateful, so…. But now I’m starting to get it. You can’t be charitable nor can you be honestly thankful for the pseudo-charity you receive in the world as we’ve created it. Honest charity and thankfulness can only exist as acts of absolute uncompromise and revolt.

16 comments:

Counterintuitive said...

Absolutely love what you say here:

"I’ve learned that being ideologically opposed to privilege doesn’t prevent me from enjoying it. And what is sometimes even more enjoyable than the sense of privilege is the sense of self-righteousness I feel when I try to resist being treated preferentially, when I refuse the privilege that is offered me. That, too, is another privilege—the privilege of being charitable, of being capable of giving charity."

That so accurately depicts how power is so insidious, so inescable. If you more "undeveloped" ideas like these, please share :)

The second part I have to think about more. I get a bit tied up in knots trying to imagine "true" charity--whether there is such a thing and whether it really matters. Have to let what you say her percolate a bit.

Will see you Sunday for sure, but hoping we might get together earlier if it works for everyone.

marilyn said...

Nice observation of your own motivation and that privilege is only really noticeable in the presences of someone less privileged.

I guess there really is "no free lunch" we always expect something from everything we do. As even spiritual practice can be done for self gain, we are constantly subject to feeding of the ego. Bodhisattvas are indeed rare creatures!

marilyn said...

PS to my last comment
This is a great insight into one of the many reasons that you travel to South America. Thanks for being brave enough to share it.

shane said...

CI, yes, power is unbelievably pernicious, but I think it is escapable--just not easily or quickly escapable. And, too, the escape may take more than a lifetime, several generations, I mean. About charity, I think it does matter that we can't be charitable. I'm thinking about Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener, for example, which demonstrates how human potential is squashed by certain human environments. I worry that if that human potential has to remain dormant for too long, it might never again resurface.

shane said...

Marilyn, you wrote:

"Nice observation of your own motivation and that privilege is only really noticeable in the presences of someone less privileged."

Nice observation of my observation!!!

Also, I think much of the problem with ego is less the way it defines and minimizes human potential than how it reduces the "other" to a need, a resource. Thus every action is reduced to "need fulfillment".

Nice to see you back in blog world. I need new and active blogger friends to inspire me. I've been slacking!

shane said...

One more note--and I think, Marilyn, that this is what you're getting at with your comment about how privilege is only noticeable in the presence of someone less privileged--the practice of giving or receiving charity is a great way to reinforce hierarchy. It very clearly delineates between the giver (higher on the hierarchy) and the receiver (lower). In that sense, being thankful for charity is akin to being thankful for your deprived status. That's what I meant when I said that true charity can only exist as an act of rebellion.

HH said...

I love this qoute:
"I’ve learned that being ideologically opposed to privilege doesn’t prevent me from enjoying it. And what is sometimes even more enjoyable than the sense of privilege is the sense of self-righteousness I feel when I try to resist being treated preferentially, when I refuse the privilege that is offered me. That, too, is another privilege—the privilege of being charitable, of being capable of giving charity."

Exactly... how can one look the gift horse in the mouth? When afforded the comforts which are products of greed we are "accustomed." Thus, we are driven to accept the known. That you have stepped outside the boundaries of the comfortable and accepted, at times, the ....


Shit.. I just read that Ron quoted the same passage... redundancy sucks...

HH =)

shane said...

Woo Hoo! Nice to have you back in the commenting box!

shane said...

A redundant comment is better than none at all!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

This is a message for the webmaster/admin here at asanoutcast.blogspot.com.

Can I use some of the information from your post above if I provide a backlink back to your website?

Thanks,
Jules

shane said...

Hi Jules. Of course you can.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I have a message for the webmaster/admin here at asanoutcast.blogspot.com.

May I use some of the information from your blog post right above if I give a backlink back to this website?

Thanks,
James

shane said...

No problem, James! Thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at asanoutcast.blogspot.com.

Can I use some of the information from this blog post right above if I give a link back to your website?

Thanks,
Alex

shane said...

yes, alex.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am definitely happy to discover this. great job!